Monday, January 2, 2012

Thought for the day: “God gave us two ears and one mouth, so we can hear twice as much as we speak”

New year, new week and a new idea of my take on the thoughts that I like.

Today's thought for the day is  “God gave us two ears and one mouth, so we can hear twice as much as we speak” :)

Maybe this is particularly applicable to me. I talk, talk, talk and talk all the time. This is only the case with people I really know and am comfortable with. I take some time to open up with a person. But once I am friends with someone, then no one can stop the blabberhead in me :).

In 2012, I should take this thought to my heart and actually start listening more. So many times it happens that we do not allow somebody in front of us to talk, express their views, thoughts, emotions, opinions etc. How happy and better will this world be if instead of talking all the way, we start listening to people. We listen to our spouse or kids, our mom, dad, our friends, relatives, even people around us.

Listening is healing they say. What more can we do for a grieving friend that to listen to his emotions. Give an ear to a lonely parent, ailing grand mother, or an exited 4 year old. The benefits of listening are emotional health (not just yours), inner peace and tranquility. I am sure we would also feel happy when we share someone's happiness; or calm when we help a disturbed friend relax just by being there with her and listening to her.

I hope this year I stay true to this line of wisdom and hear twice as much than I speak :)



Photo courtesy: http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/Grass_g353-Nature_p25733.html